I just finished Jodi Picoult's Handle with Care.
A mother brings a wrongful birth suit against her OB (who also happens to be her best friend) because the doctor missed the signs of Osteogenesis Imperfecta in her baby. Even though she admits she wouldn't have aborted the baby anyway, she is determined to get money to insure a comfortable life for her daughter and her family.
And today, on Law & Order CI, a mother is suing her OB for not telling her that her baby had Spina Bifida.
Quite a coincidence and an interesting topic.
How far will we go to get our perfect, healthy babies? What degree of disability would constitute a wrongful birth?
4 days ago
I love Jodi Picoult and I loved that book. But I was torn about that Mom - I kind of hated for her for how she treated her best friend who obviously didn't intentionally do anything wrong...ya know?!
ReplyDeleteB
We learned about wrongful birth suits in Torts last semester...you would be happy to know that I am pretty sure Texas does not entertain these.....personally I think they are ridiculous
ReplyDelete