Someone sent this postcard into post secret a few weeks ago and I saved it, cause I can relate, lol...and I think that picture is pretty hilarious!But this whole concept has been on my mind a lot lately. The standards that are placed on beauty and how they all relate to being white, and having light skin, and long, tan legs, and straight hair, etc...
I never realized how detrimental it was to me for people to say things like "oh-he's cute for a black boy" or "you're such a pretty little black girl" But I've come to realize that I actually view myself and other black people this way. I think people just fail to realize how hurtful it can be when they say these things. ....but it comes down to the fact that I look at myself the way other girls look at themselves and their beauty...and I can't do that, because I'm not the same. I have a different body shape, different skin, different hair, different culture....
I never even realized how important it would be to me to meet someone who looked like me, just in church for instance. I mean think about...you walk around(I know people aren't clones are anything) but people look like you. I look around my surrounding at church, or class, or work... and most of the time and no one looks like me. I don't even know how to describe it, but just think about being in a room full of black people. You know you stick out, you know people notice you, you know some people probably wonder where you came from...
Proverbs 31:30Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
I realize this is the only standard I should hold myself to....I'm getting there ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fEy0q6yqc
Interesting video...made by some high school girls
response to question about how children pick up these cues: where does all of this come from? it's all around them...they look at tv and they see blond-headed barbies, and other white baby dolls...they see white children playing with these white dolls and everybody is happy. it's all about assoication, b/c that is all they can do at that age. they go to school and they are taught that the colors black and white are referenced to good and bad. it takes a concious effort for the parent of a black child to instill a positive self-image. that is why so much energy is taken to find dolls and toys and books that"look like" black children. it's the premise behind the disney princesses. little black girls see these characters, and they simply can't relate b/c none look like them. so they conclude that they have to look like them to get prince charming, or live in the big palace or whatever. it's a sad state of mind, but that's the way it is.
I've had this post saved as a draft for a while and I've deleted lots of it...cause I dont even know how to describe what I'm trying to say...I guess there is just no way too...
i love you...i love your posts. i love to hear the struggles that you have that I cant relate to, but pain me that you have to struggle with them...i love that you are willing to talk about things you dont yet understand. i wish the world was different. i wish colors had no connotation with them, thanks for shedding light on areas that we often neglect. youre a&mazing
ReplyDeleteOh Sweet Halei... I know your heart! I know this secret you are sharing...For sure I have walked in these footsteps!
ReplyDeleteKyle
Oh, wow. THat's a good video..
ReplyDeleteI remember when i was little i wanted to have mixed kids, i once told my mom i was just worried about one thing....how would i do their hair.
Easton the other day was playing with Anika's babies, he had two in the strollers. He was playing with one black baby and one white. It was so sweet.. Their names were fudge and sugar. Then he spanked them for not staying in their strollers. I noticed he knew no difference in their skin tone. There was equal treatment. It was so good.
I too have had issues about skin tone, I used to think lighter brown latinos were gorgious, while me being medium tone was hidious. I seriously stayed out of the sun as much as i could so i wouldn't get dark. Now i don't worry about it, God happenes to love my skin tone, after all he gave it to me.
Wow. Thank you so much for this point of view. I know that Danaya will deal with all of this as she grows up, so I will really need you, Kyle, and Levita to guide us. I've often wondered what we will do if LH doesn't become more diverse in color. I don't want Danaya to feel different, however, I then realize that it's not up to me to decide. God clearly called us to LH. There is no telling what He has in store for us in the future. He'll let us know and He will take care of our concerns or He will make them where they are not a concern. You've really helped me today, Halei.
ReplyDeleteMelodi
Hi Halei,
ReplyDeleteIt's Farrah. Just wanted to thank you for all your GREAT comments on my blog and to let you know that you ROCK!!!
From what I read on your blog, you seem to be A LOT like me.. That postcard about white boys and black girls..Wow so true for me...lol
Make sure you stay in touch!!!
Beautiful Halei,
ReplyDeleteWow, your thoughts are helping me think through some things.
I know that lighter skin is more "beautiful" to black children, isn't wierd that to white children tanner, really darker, skin is more beautiful. White people get perms for culy hair, while black people get perms for straight hair. Does our society know what they want? No!
I think everyone wants what they are told they don't have but need to be beautiful. I think that in this world when we see what everyone else says is beauty(from a young age) and all autimatically see where we don't line up. Living in a fallen world satan uses this picture of (false)beauty to beat down the true beauty we were created as.
When I think of Halie and how beautiful you are, I don't think of hair or skin tone, I think of the beauty of Christ I have seen IN you, the way you sacrafically give your time and love without thinking twice. But for somereason we don't see ourselves ( me included) the way Christ sees us, our even our brother and sisters see us.
Here are my rambleing questions.
How come we can see others for their true beauty but not ourselves?
How come so many people we know don't know how beautiful they are?
Do we keep or words of encouragement and love to ourselves?
If I am ever struggling with feeling of inadequacy I know I can call my daddy, but should I have more that just my daddy encouraging me openly in beauty in Christ?
I think all this stuff comes back to relationships, weird huh.
Love you girl,
Tori