Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, February 23, 2007

American History? Not so sweet.


For my minority groups class...we've had to read selections from A Different Mirror. This book has been very eye-opening...
"Takaki presented a true assessment of American history. There appeared to be no doubt that many immigrants from the pacific to the atlantic experienced much hardship and struggle as a result of Anglo-Saxon dominance that coveted their desire to attain opportunity in the United States. It appears ironic how un-united the U.S. had been during the nineteenth century when a large influx of immigrants arrived to their "Golden Mountain" or to see their "Lady Liberty". They arrived only to be violently attacked and ridiculed because of their culture and traditions. The so-called "melting pot" brewed to a burning point, especially during the Industrial Age."
All the stuff I learned about the founding of America and the pilgrims and indians, etc...out the door. But that's not the point of my rambling...I recently brought up a that I thought it was sad that we all praise the "founding fathers" the people who established our little country, their morals, their hard work, their fighting, etc...when in fact while they were working/fight to free themselves they were doing worse to the native people of our land, the native americans are STILL suffering...still living in extreme rates of poverty. The response: well, we're paying them back, they have casinos!
I could not even respond the that statement. Where are we in society if we think we can PAY an entire group off for centuries of injustice, discrimination, violence, hate, robbery....
I think so many people fail to realize that people are still suffering today from the effects of discrimination. They have the "well its not happening right now, so they should get over it" But when an entire ethnic group is taught they are lower than you, are constantly treated worse than animals, and "kept in their place"...you cant expect a few decades to clear that up! Look at children from horribly abusive homes...if they abuse goes on long enough and is severe enough...the damage is devestating.
I know I'm just venting, but I just can't believe people think you can be paid for something like this. It's just one more example of how we think money solves everything. Does someone's like ever have a price, because that is what this ultimately means. And even if we did place a price on a life...how much would ever be enough.
My professor last semester talked about affirmation action(AA) and drew out a little picture. She had two mice(EWWW) one represents whites, the other blacks. The "white" mouse was let go in the maze on a bike, the black mouse was held back...then it was let go, but with rocks on his back and blindfolded, left to walk....of course the black mouse couldnt catch up. Well AA come along and the black mouse is relieved from all his weights and given a bike...the point...its too late. AA doesn't really work, its too late, the mouse is already generations behind. NO amount of money in the world will catch him up. I think this relates to many different groups...
The solution...I have no idea. But I do know that going around thinking people are getting paid back for the injustices that went on for so long is a HUGE part of the problem.
We look at other countries and their genocides and great injustices and think "how horrible" when America has had more than its fair share...but its ok, because ours was a "long" ago or people dont even know. How many people know the we had internment camps during WWII? It was mentioned once or twice in a histroy class, but I sure never heard much about them.
I don't even know what I'm trying to say here...I just know we are so misinformed, we think we're so much better...but we're all broken people, people have been and are treated just as unjustly here in America as they are elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment