Who would have thought such a small thing could instill so much fear...
Last night one of my roommates saw a mouse, thus began a MOUSEHUNT!
The mouse was in Kaylee's room, so we "contained" it there. We moved EVERYTHING off of her floors and into the hallway...we had the mouse cornered.
We moved the last piece of clothing, the place we knew it had to be...we had the towel under the door to prevent mouse esacpage, we had trap set in the path we thought it might take...out he runs...under the door.
So we know mice can fit through areas small enough for a pencil to go through. The bad news...ALL of Kaylee's things are in the hallway now, so who knows where the little rascal may be.
We precede to move all of her things back into her room, but not to the floor, because we do NOT want this to happen again. We confine the mouse to one little pile of clothing...but this time we think our plan through a little more. I make sure the towels are secure, we set up blockades on the stairs...we set the trap around the pile of clothes, we get the golf clubs ready...by now we know we are gonna have to go out swinging, ride or die!
It's us against the mouse! Four college students, 3 girls, 1 guy...and one little, bitty mouse. We're ready...the pile of clothing is hit.
(I didn't actually see this part, because I was on the stairs screaming) The mouse runs out...my towels are foolproof...it has NOWHERE to run. Jarrod swings, hard(there are dents on the molding to prove it) and hits the little rodent FIVE times, he step on it...it doesn't die. He perservers! If something can fit through very small places, its gonna need to be hit hard. In the process of all this swinging...the towels are moved...he runs...yep, into MY room.
We start the movement process again, we set up the traps...we are going to get this mouse we know. But the thing can not be found anywhere..we had to give up. Needless to say we all slept downstairs...uncomfortably...who can sleep when it is possible for a mouse to run across your head! In the morning, my first question for Jarrod "Was it in a trap!?" Sadly no...back from class...still a no. But I figure, he's gone now...so we all head upstairs to clean our rooms...we learned our lesson. I decide to rearrange a bit...I want NOTHING to be on my floor. Everything has to be on a shelf, everything from under the bed. I figure if this happens again, I dont want to be moving things for a mouse to jump in my face. I move my bookself and see a little gray thing...I scream, I dont know what it is! Barbara comes in...she confirms the diagnosis...it is our little friend and he is dead. He must have crawled into my room and bled to death after his run in with Jarrod. Thank God he is dead, but what do we do now?! We're not picking it up...we call Jarrod and tell him to hurry home, but he says he wont help us either! NOW WHAT?! We plan for 30 mins...Ryan Price lives across from us...we know 3 out of 4 of those roommates. What do you know...the one we dont know is the one who answers the door. I explain to him that we know his roomies and we have a mouse and we're scared. He says sure, he'll help!(thank you Lord for strong men!)
I have christened our little friend Melchizedek, because Sara Crewe's little mouse in A Little Princess had that name and that is my favorite movie and her mouse was her friend and because it's in the bible...what more can you ask for.
So this post is for Melchizedek, God rest his soul and hopefully we will not find anymore of his friends. And Casey is pretty AMAZING for picking up a dead mouse for two people who just knocked on his door!
That was a sad sad story! Next time call me and I see capture the little guy and return him to the wild where his children and wife will be waiting!
ReplyDelete