I've never considered the fact that being tolerant can actually lead to intolerance.
Today in class we had a guest speaker. This man had been addicted to drugs and according to his testimony God delivered him one night in his jail cell. He goes on to start this organization to get people off of drugs and he runs it very much in step with his faith. Great, right...
As he is telling his story half the class looks like they're listening to a murderer spew his tales. These people were just downright rude in their stance and behavior. They were snickering, and signing, and asking downright snarky little questions. They obviously thought they were better than him, because they were above "religion."
I thought these people were open to EVERYONE?! I wonder if they are just open to people who have no religion? People were willing to disregard everything this man told us because he was giving glory to God. Really? Please explain to me how this is tolerance? It's not any better than claiming you hate religions because they are close-minded and intolerant. It's the same. thing.
If you discredit someone just because they believe in Jesus, you are prejudice and close-minded.
This man was sharing his life changed and how he was passionate about helping others do the same! Does it matter how he goes about doing it? He can't MAKE anyone become a Christian, but he can share his story, he can do all he can to help other people in the same situation he was in. You advocate for the rights of everyone, well this man has a right to offer help just as much as you do.
The need was in his community. No one else was meeting the need. He met it.
If you have a problem with the way a program is run, go there and start one and run it your own way.
I guess I'm just not used to being around so many people who are adamantly opposed to religion. And when I say so many, it's probably not that many, but:
1 - it's a bigger number than I ever ran into at TAMU(christian bubble)
2 - people in social services tend to lean far left
3 - these people speak up much more than everyone else
4 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment