Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Gotta love transitions...



I think I finally completed my transition period!!  What am I...almost two months in!?

This summer, it hit me that I was moving to a place where I knew NO ONE.  While I was at 1st term, I started feeling some major regret about my decision to leave College Station, let alone Texas.  Roll around the second term at camp and I was a complete mess.  Transitioning from 1st to 2nd term, proved so much worse than I ever could have imagined and I just knew, it was only a taste of what I was about to feel.

But I made it through second term, with all new people and LOVED it.  I knew God was trying to show me that I could do it. It takes time, but falling in love with new people can be easy. Of course I didn't trust and at the end of the summer, when leaving camp I was a wreck again. At that time I would have given anything to be going to UT this fall.

So I move to Georgia and I was right. It sucked. I knew no one. I cried a lot. I was alone a lot. I thought I had made a huge mistake. I looked into transferring to UT. I thought about dropping out. I complained to lots of friends. I just felt sorry for poor little old me.

But finally, finally...it's turning around. I've met some amazing people.  I can make it around Athens without my GPS(most of the time) and it almost feels like home.  I look forward to going to class to see my friends. I have people to make plans with during the weekend and things to do!

I don't know how many times I'll have to be in brand new situation to get that it might suck at first, but it gets better!

Now, I still miss Texas A. LOT. And I can't wait to go back!!  My one huge regret is not traveling more when I lived in College Station. I never went to visit friends in Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc.  And I was so close...now I'm so far away and it is that much more difficult.

I miss all my friends and the memories we could laugh about.
I miss HEB.
I miss watching TV with Amanda.
I miss my job and my preschoolers.
I miss my old room.
I miss my old townhome complex.
I miss not paying for my own rent.
I miss College Station's small size. (I feel like, though a college town, Athens is a quite a bit bigger)
I miss Aggieland in general, sigh...
I miss babysitting.
I miss seeing Texas plates.
I miss seeing James Avery jewelry...if I say James Avery here, I have to explain!  Weird!
I miss $4 movies...no student discounts here!

But I am so glad that I have this opportunity! I am so blessed to have met such amazing people.
Which brings me to another point...it's amazing how we pick our friends.  I don't think you usually notice, but I realized that I was picking people out of the crowd, who looked like my type. hahaha, is that sort of like dating?

Speaking of amazing people, we got some disturbing news yesterday. A member of our cohort and a friend of mine, was in a hit and run accident.  She was running before class Tuesday and was hit by a car.  The car drove away. She is currently in ICU and in critical condition.  I am still in disbelief.  I don't know everyone in our cohort, but I know Sarah quite well. We have quite a few classes together(at least 3 out of our five), we have a presentation due Wed(that I should probably email my prof about)...I mean it's hard to believe that we were sitting with each other Tuesday in class...chatting about her yogurt and cinnamon, about HPV..random things. And the next day, she's fighting for her life.  I pray she is ok.  It takes something like this to remind us how precious life is and how lost our world is.

No comments:

Post a Comment