I can admit, the past few years I've put on the pounds. A lot of them. Too bad, my mother or various other sneaky family members were the only people to ever comment on me getting a little "curvy"
Since the fall, I've dropped some pounds. I'll even say, a little more than 20 L-Bs. Now I'm only 5' to begin with so I'll say I shouldn't really weigh more than around 120. So today, right now I am in a totally normal and healthy weight range. But lord help me, if people aren't thinking I'm anorexic. One of my supervisors loves to ask me if I'm eating enough, or let me know she's watching me, or ask me if my parents know about my weight, or tell the whole office I've lost too much weight, etc. Think she would do that if I had gained about 25lbs? I think not! Interesting little socially acceptable tidbit I've learned this year. Fat = not ok to talk about. Skinny = say whatever you want!
But I do have the last laugh in this somewhere! Really-my weight loss is through no hard work of my own, just side effects of other things. My roomie, A, on the other hand has been working hard to loose weight and has done an amazing job! She was horrified last week when one of her supervisors noticed her weight loss and commented on/questioned her about it before a staff meeting, lol. Who wants to answer questions about their "secret" as an intern, in front of staff, and right before a meeting. Ha! I do get to tease her about wasting away in front of my eyes though, it's so amazing to watch the transformation! She shuts me up pretty quickly by reminding me she eats at least two meals everyday....I may or may not forget to eat somedays :x
Lesson learned: Losing (just as gaining) weight is just not something you should bring up in big groups. Take it to your individual conversations, people!
A and I have been chilling at the pool the past few days. As a person of color, I've never quite understood the urge for people to lay out. I've had a come to Jesus moment...there is something special about being out by the pool in the sun. It's so conducive for napping and relaxing! I have totally been missing out...now if only my sunscreen would stop any tan from showing up ;)
Enjoy the rays and remember your screen. And, good luck to all you other peeps out there getting in shape this year!
Chaco love,
4 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment